Diana Wright <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Are indulgences still in use today?  If not, when were they discontinued?

Rosary.

They are still in use today. They were much in evidence at the turn of the Millennium, when indulgences could be obtained by visiting certain designated Churches and praying for the Pope's intentions. However, it has to be said that they were not much understood by the faithful. I led a pilgrimage to Walsingham (one of the designated indulgence sites) in that year and explained very carefully to my fellow-pilgrims how to obtain their indulgence. In fact I did everything with them except hear their confessions (a necessary condition of the indulgence). On the way home one of the ladies handed me her rosary and asked if I could "do this millennium blessing" - she thought it was something you did to a rosary.

For more information on indulgences may I suggest you consult the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Article 4 section 10, paragraphs 1471-1479. This is available online and may even be accessed from my own parish website, www.stjopickering.org

Bill.

Yahoo! Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html