Has anyone any positive (and repeatable) suggestions for this enquiry to
RGS-IBG Map Room?

>I am looking for a world atlas on CD-ROM offering the following facilities:

>1.    The ability to point the mouse to any location on the Earth's surface
and to be able to read off latitude and longitude to a reasonable order of
accuracy. (Say, one arc >minute.)

>Details of countries and continents to the order of scale shown on a modest
school world atlas. (Something comparable, say, to The Times Atlas of the
World Compact >Edition.)

>I have been trying to locate such an item for the past six months and have
contacted a number people and institutions all of which has drawn a blank

>I find this an extraordinary state of affairs. Surely  the ability to
determine coordinates for a location would be ideally suited to the CD
format? In my own field of >astronomy we have a number of programmes, such
as SkyMap, which gives RA and Dec to a fraction of 1 arc second.

>Any help would be gratefully received and acknowledged.

Any such will be forwarded (with due acknowledgement) by me to the enquirer.
If you are one of those who has already been on the receiving end of this
enquirer's "I have been trying to locate such an item for the past six
months and have contacted a number people and institutions all of which has
drawn a blank" you may care to share your answer with the rest of the list
in order that we all become 'enlightened'!

Thankyou.

Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps)

http://www.rgs.org <http://www.rgs.org/>  [see 'Collections']