I am a doctoral student in musicology at the university of Oregon,
writing a dissertation on the ways in which poetic theory of the late
sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries influenced the compositional
ethics of several Italian composers of the period.  I have discovered
that the theories of their contemporaries in academic and literary
circles shaped many of these composers' ideas and choices concerning
theories of genre and imitation.  Though I have read a good deal, I am
still having trouble answering the following questions, and am making
this inquiry in the hope of receiving assistance and input.
1.      Can anyone recommend sources, or think of any ideas about how I
might improve my skills in the analysis of late sixteenth-century and
early seventeenth-century Italian poetry?  In addition to working with
the poetry of Petrarca and Tasso, I need to analyze poetry that is,
perhaps, admired as much by musicologists as by  scholars of literature,
such as madrigali, sonetti, and canzoni by Guarini, Marino, and
Rinuccini, among others.  Most of the analytical information I have now
is, in fact,  written by musicologists, some of whom, for example,
describe Guarini's style as epigrammatic or Rinuccini's style as melic.
Although I can discern differences in their styles, I wouldn't have been
able to put my thoughts in those terms.
2.      What are the best sources for studying Seicento Italian poetic
theory?  Bernard Weinberg writes about almost nothing past 1600, but
makes it clear that the current debates do not end during that year, and
that new ones surface at the beginning of the Seicento.
3.      How can I learn about standard conventions of academic writing
between 1580 and 1650?  For example, many composers choose to have
others write letters of request or responses to academic attacks for
them.  Also poets, such as Guarini, seem to go to great lengths to
conceal their identities behind academic pseudonyms or official titles.
Are these practices normal or unusual?  Why?
I read both modern and seventeenth-century Italian with ease, and could
make my way through sources in German and French as well,  I welcome
am addressing are of limited interest to other list participants, please
feel free to respond to me off-list at
with more basic ideas.  Thank you for your time and assistance.
Sincerely,
Jamie Weaver

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html