  From: Gareth Morgan
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:53 AM
  Subject: What is the alternative

  Hi

  I have been a member of this mailbase for quite a while and would like to start a debate about definitions. I finally decided to look for a definition of evidence based medicine and this is one I came up with.

    a.. Evidence-based medicine is a medical movement based upon the application of the scientific method to medical practice, including long-established existing medical traditions not yet subjected to adequate scientific scrutiny. According to the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, "Evidence-based medicine is the conscientious, explicit and judicious use of current best evidence in making decisions about the care of individual patients."
    b.. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_based_medicine
  The definition is what I expected and seems to be quite obvious but the problem I have is what is the alternative to EBM - myths and legends, old wives tales? Surely all medicine/medical practice (in my limited understanding) should be based on evidence and "conscientious, explicit and judicious use of current best evidence in making decisions about the care of individual patients." . Am I missing something here, being a heretic or is this a case of  "the kings new clothes"?

  Most reports seem top take it for granted that there is an mass/group understanding of what it is all about.

  Grateful for responses

  With best wishes,

  Gareth

  http://www.ki.se/biomedlab
  e-mail [log in to unmask]

  Tel +46 8 5858 1038
  Fax +46 8 5858 7730

  Gareth Morgan MPhil MSc FIBMS,
  Department of Histo/cytopathology, Laboratory Medicine (Labmed),
  Karolinska Institute,
  Karolinska University Hospital at Huddinge, F46
  SE 141 86 Stockholm
  Sweden

  OBS! Besöksadress: F-Huset, Forskningsgatan 2 F52, Rum 2.10. Laboratoriet för klinisk patologi och cytologi.

  NB! Visiting address: Building F, Research Corridor 2 F52, Room 2.10. Clinical Histo- and Cytopathology Laboratory.