Manhood End Farm is at SU 8401 (2.5"). The name's pretty clearly from OE
for `common wood'. There are still occasional jokes about it in the
Brighton Argus.

---rc

--On 12 May 2005 16:22 +0100 Keith Briggs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What has happened to Manhood?     Though appearing on old maps, in books
> about place-names and still existing in the names of institutions like
> Manhood Community College, the name appears to be unknown to the Ordnance
> Survey and is not on any modern map that I have access to.
>
> And, does it really contain -wood?
>
> Keith

----------------

Richard Coates

Secretary, International Council of Onomastic Sciences (www.icosweb.net)
Hon. Director, Survey of English Place-Names

HoD, Dept of Linguistics and English Language
Room Arts B135
School of Humanities
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

Phone +44 (0)1273 678522
Email [log in to unmask] OR [log in to unmask]

Departmental Coordinator: Sarah Cuffe, [log in to unmask], +44 (0)1273 678116