Hello Michael,

I would be very interested in replies to your request.  I try to avoid using the word 'vulnerable' as it seems to me that people become vulnerable not because this is an individual characteristic, but because social care fails.  By this I mean that all individuals have different needs, some being much more demanding of resources, but sometimes these needs are seen as rendering people to be vulnerable, e.g. older people, people with impairments, because these needs are unlikely to be fully met.

There is no doubt that our failure as a society to accommodate difference and adequately meet specific needs, means that some people are more likely to be:

excluded

isolated

subject to abuse

worth less

Perhaps the policy should be about protection of adults and then begin with an explanation of why some adults are likely to need protecting?

Christine

are now located at: