From: Joy Davidson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 23 May 2005 15:46
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
Cc: Andrew McHugh
Subject: DCC Site Visit Glasgow - Places still available

**Apologies for cross-posting**

There are still some places available for the next DCC Site Visit
14:00 - 16:00, May 26th, 2005
Wolfson Medical School Building, University of Glasgow

The JISC-funded Digital Curation Centre (DCC) provides a focus on
research into digital curation expertise and best practice for the
storage, management and preservation of digital information to
enable its use and reuse over time. The project represents a
collaboration between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh,
UKOLN and the Council of the Central Laboratory of the Research
Councils (CCLRC) and is community-driven, relying heavily on active
participation and feedback from all stakeholder communities. For
more information, please visit www.dcc.ac.uk
<http://www.dcc.ac.uk/>. The DCC is not itself a data repository,
nor do we attempt to impose policies and practices of one branch of
scholarship upon another. Rather, based on insight from a vibrant
research programme that addresses wider issues of data curation and
long-term preservation, we will develop and offer programmes of
outreach and practical services to assist those who face digital
curation challenges.

We also seek to complement and contribute towards the efforts of
related organisations, rather than duplicate services. A key
objective for this project is the establishment of a communication
network between the DCC and its stakeholder communities. In order to
facilitate this objective and gain a better understanding of
institutional digital curation challenges and expectations for the
DCC we are committed to a series of regional site visits. These will
offer us an opportunity to meet representatives of institutions with
real digital curation concerns, present details on the kinds of
services we are able to offer and exchange ideas and resources. By
limiting these visits to twenty participants we aim to create an
informal but productive atmosphere with an emphasis on gathering
requirements and feedback from those taking part. It is hoped that
these visits will encourage the development of new working
relationships and closer collaboration between regional institutions
in tackling digital curation challenges. The next scheduled site
visit is at the University of Glasgow on Thursday May 26th. The
meeting will run from 2pm until 4pm.

We are particularly keen to meet with representatives of local
institutions with an active or future interest in digital
preservation and who are keen to learn more about the work of the
Digital Curation Centre. Computing, Information and Library Services
and members of Science faculty are all extended a warm invitation.
Participation is free but spaces are limited and the event will be run on a
first come
first served basis. If you are interested in participating, please
confirm your attendance by emailing [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

We look forward to meeting you and your colleagues and hearing of
the role the DCC might play in helping to overcome your Digital
Curation challenges.

Mr Andrew McHugh LLB(Hons) MSc
DCC Advisory Services Manager
HATII