I remember seeing, in a user-friendly intro to metadata somewhere (perhaps on the CETIS site), a 'tin can' analogy for metadata. Metadata is the label on the can which tells you what's in it, what it's made from, how you can use it, and who produced it, and without it you'd have no idea whether the can contained chicken soup or cyanide concentrate until you actually opened it. This may seem simplistic, but if you start going into the intricate technical details of what does and doesn't constitute metadata, you tie a Gordian knot of such complexity even a cataloguer/librarian won't be able to unravel it.

Writing as an IT/e-learning techie who knows virtually 0 about 'information science' and cataloguing, I'd recommend keeping the definition simple enough for Joe and Jane academic to understand, because it's they who're going to be using the metadata to find stuff or, if they're unlucky, putting the metadata in themselves.

Just my 2 Euros worth. Ok, back to lurking...

Cheers

Fred

Fred Riley
Learning Technologist