google vs librarians

Colleagues,

Following recent discussions ... I set thee a challenge ...

I'm working on a project promoting the use of repositories, and we are often asked "why should I bother if I can use google instead?". I know the answers we always give - quality assured content, more granular searching, contextualised content, IMS packaged stuff ... but where's the evidence?

1) can anyone point me to anyone that has tried this: performed the same searches on google as on specific collections, and compared results?

2) can you point me to a defined list of benefits of repositories/collections over open text web searching via google/yahoo/askjeeves etc? Something published and accepted.

I know ... it's scary ... but we must face our fears ;-)

Amber

Amber Thomas
Project Leader
JISC DEL: Promoting Use of Shared Content in the West Midlands
Bredon 76
University College Worcester
Henwick Grove
Worcester