Well I think if one goes to the WSIS declaration and action plan, it must be
obvious that although the mdgs are a base line for a particular form of
development, they are not anywhere near the important things.

I've argued for about 30 years that it is in the development of cities and
municipal management systems that the urban development will hit the right
buttons.

At the Ordnance Survey last week for a meeting on metadata and flash mapping
where a case study from Iraq, and material from India, China were
presented.. It does seem as if the GIS world is getting close to be able to
do some useful things.  In the health area, it too is obvious that although
health, water, are the connecting targets to hit for the mdg, this will be
done only by the building of systems, not helping out individuals.

On 13/5/05 5:16 pm, "Richard Heeks" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ICTs and the MDGs: On the Wrong Track?
>
> There is much current talk about the relationship between ICTs
> and the Millennium Development Goals.   But .. .. have we too
> readily assumed that the MDGs are the priority for application
> of ICTs?
>
> The MDGs themselves can be challenged, or at least questioned:
> there are alternative development paths.
>
> Similarly, development may be better served by applying ICTs to
> other goals.
>
> A short paper on this issue is available at:
> www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/idpm/publications/wp/di/index.htm#sp
>
> I would like to find more writings and evidence about this,
> particularly:
> a) material questioning the MDGs, and
> b) material questioning MDG-related application of ICTs.
>
> Any pointers to such material would be much appreciated.
>
> Richard Heeks

> Dr Richard Heeks
> Senior Lecturer, Information Systems & Development
> Institute for Development Policy & Management
> University of Manchester
> Harold Hankins Building
> Precinct Centre
> Manchester  M13 9QH  U.K.
>
> Phone: +44-161-275-2870  Fax: +44-161-273-8829
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> IDPM Web: http://idpm.man.ac.uk/

> Security System.

Security System.