Hi Fellow-Listers

I response to Sue's request I would like to nominate:

Understanding Media:Extensions of Man

Marshall McLuhan's understanding of electric information travelling at the
velocity of light has a great deal of insight into the impact of digital
media.

I am extremely biased as I had the good fortune to work with and co-author
two articles with Marshall McLuhan from 1974 to 1980 at the very end of
his career.

I am currently updating his book UM. The project I am working on is
entitled: Understanding New Media: Extending Marshall McLuhan

One of the insights I have had is that the effects of electric mass media,
namely, integration, interdisciplinarity, decentralization,
democratization, and knowledge as a source of wealth creation become even
more pronounced with the "new media".

My explanation for this is that while information obtained its maximum
speed of transmission with electricity, namely, the speed of light we are
infact able to access information more rapidly with the "new media"
because hyperlinking allows us to jump from one document to another and
from oe medium to another.

My book will examine how the new media have affected the old media that
McLuhan treated in Understanding Media and then examine the impact of the
new media (the Net, the Web, blogs, cell phones, notebooks, Palm Pilots,
Blacberries, electronic games, i-pods, etc.) on society, culture, commerce
and politics.

Any suggestions from fellow listers would be most appreciated. If anyone
is interested in this project and would like to read one or two of the
introductory chapters I would be happy to email them to you. Drop me a
line at [log in to unmask]

Thanks for your attention. This has been both a resonse to Sue's request
and my introduction to the group.

All the best - Bob Logan

*  Robert K. Logan  -  Assoc. Prof. of Physics   -   University of Toronto *
*  60 St. George Street - Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A7 - Canada               *
*  e-mail: [log in to unmask]                                       *
*  phone: (416)978-8632 or home 416-652-2570           fax:(416)978-1547   *
*  Author of:    The Sixth Language (2000, 2004 2nd edit.)                 *
*                The Alphabet Effect (1986, 2004 2nd edit) and             *
*                Collaborate to Compete (2004)                             *
*                The Extended Mind: The Origin of Langauge & Culture (in   *
*                press)                                                    *