Re: [WDL] List size Lawrence, Tina, Simon, others

Lawrence writes:

“for me, the shared space itself isn't embodied visually in the interface”

Can we pursue this a bit further? Does anyone know of research that has been done in this area?

It makes me think of how the original computer desktop was just a design feature dreamed up by someone at (was it Apple?). I can remember that as a dos user it made no sense to me at all and it took me a long time to accept and comprehend it. Even now, I’m not much aware of my desktop – it’s like a corner of the house where things get thrown into and then forgotten. I mean, I don’t even see it much because it’s always covered up with open applications.

Is the forum an extension of the desktop? A social desktop, if you like? Are there any similarities?

sue

Ps – I have left the subject line as it is because this conversation is following an interesting evolution and it’s good to be able to track it back to its origins