The first thing I ever published was a note in the old Renaissance News on
Robert Barret's translation of Du Bartas (a MS at the Folger). When I
looked the man (Barret or maybe Barrett) I saw that he had published a
book on the military but also had written what the Bodleian catalogue, as
I remember, called the longest poem in English, an epic. I cannot lay my
hands on my little piece at the moment, but I remember sending for a film
and the incredulous librarian writing back to see if I really meant that I
wanted the whole thing. It took up most of a reel. I long ago gave it to
someone who seemed to need it (yes, really), but it was sure impressive
and done in a sort of beyond-Sylvester style. Joshua Sylvester, that is,
not the persecutor of Tweety. Anne Prescott.