The only thing that comes to my mind at this point is a very dimly
remembered passage in Blaise de Monluc's memoirs (as I recall) that
describes a deformed man who was badly wounded in a battle; the doctors,
who didn't know the man, tried to cure his wounds, reset his bones, and
generally shape him up as though he had been of regular build to begin
with. Needless to say, he suffered a lot. Anne P.