In MAKING A MATCH Ann Jennalie Cook give a charming short account (pp.
135-36) of the gimmal ring or joint ring (OTHELLO IV.iii.72).  At the
formal engagement its section were separated with the upper and lower
segments going to the future bride and groom.  Other circlets were kept
by the witnesses, all of the circlets being joined together again at
the wedding.
Lee Piepho
English Department
Sweet Briar College