I have no argument with the Berger point, although it does suggest that
we may be looking for personal scholarship rather than a "movement".
And maybe that's not a bad thing; I've heard (and used) terms like "New
Textualism", "New Economic Criticism"; useful, each.  But for better or
worse we seem to be unable to synthesize the quite interesting
sholarship now underway under a banner that isn't hopelessly reductive,
or cryptically opaque.  Perhaps what I experienced in 1995 (around the
time of Kastan's comment), was the expectation of a new and clear
movement, because I had been taught that  such waves arrive every ten
years or so.  And I'm still waiting.  But maybe the absense of a strong
wave, which have notoriously dragged much bad scholarship along with
them,  allows for a  different (better?) kind of  environment, one
characterized by a variety of interesting cross-currents.