Message
I agree with Marc.  I think we have systems in place to ensure the authenticity of the copies of the websites we harvest.  If I may be allowed a rant, I feel strongly that we should not allow concerns about the nature of websites to stop us from collecting them (whatever they are).  Most websites dating from before Brewster Kahle (www.archive.org) began collecting in late 1996 have been lost and many of his early ones are not complete.  Future generations might regard us as rather less careful than our predecessors in the fifteenth century - most of Gutenberg and Caxton's works survive.
David

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Fresko, Marc
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 6:20 PM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Quick question...

Gerry,

I was trying to avoid this debate, but I don't think I can let this pass without comment.

Certainly a website can be changed, in the sense of the rendition we see on a screen at a particular moment after we have typed the site's url.  But I don't think anyone is suggesting that this transient rendition is itself a record.  What we are saying is that the information in that rendition is (may be) worthy of being treated as a record; and that the record will be a static copy of that site, taken at a known time and stored with all the normal record keeping controls to ensure that it cannot be changed and can always be rendered with acceptable accuracy.  This extends well beyond government of course.

The above glosses over some theoretical details such as the notions of "rendition" and "copy"; but the basic point is sound, I believe.

Incidentally, there are some software solutions which recognise this, and which capture then store as records every web page rendition a user sees, down to the level of every field being filled in and every page sent to the user.  I believe these are used mostly in financial services settings where there may be a risk that what the users sees at any moment is significant to a financial transaction.

Marc Fresko
EDM & ERM Consulting Services Director
Cornwell Management Consultants plc
Home Barn Court