I would agree 40 is very young to be contemplating TKA. PT can buy time. (up to 2 years in one study) Also, has the patient exhausted more conservative surgical approaches as well?

Dr. Douglas M. White

Confidential:

This email, including attachments, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law (including, but not limited to, protected health information). It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any unauthorized persons. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you believe this email was sent to you in error, do not read it. Reply to the sender informing them of the error and then destroy all copies and attachments of the message from your system. Thank you.

From: - for physiotherapists in education and practice [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hamish Ashton
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 4:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PHYSIO] sport following TKR

hi all

a collegue has asked me an opinion to which I put to you.

She is treating a man in his late 40's who plays competetive tennis at a local level. he has always been fit and active and highly involved in sport from a playing and coaching (not tennis) perspective. He now has arthritic knees (sorry no pics) and has been told he needs a total knee replacement. He however wants to continue playing tennis.

has anyone come across any patients that have returned to a significant level of physical activity / sport following a TKR

Thanks in advance

Hamish Ashton MHSc

Physio New Zealand