On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:59:46 +0100
"NEWMAN, Phil" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>

> Following our recent discussion on the accuracy of HHGPS, devotees of
> these gadgets may be interested in an article in the May/June edition of
> British Archaeology entitled GPS Mapping in which the authors recommend
> the use of a piece of freeware available from the web into which Garmin
> data can be downloaded to produce maps. The website from which the
> software can be downloaded free is
> http://www.crysania.co.uk/trefach/trefach_astronomy.pl
> >
> Regards to all
> >
> Phil Newman

        Might I suggest a piece of software "GPS Utility", from

http://www.gpsu.co.uk/index.html
        Whilst this is shareware and is limited to 100 waypoints and four tracks, the registered version at 20USD has an almost unlimited capacity. The software will upload and download waypoints and tracks from an impressive list of handheld GPS units. The data downloaded from the GPS unit is displayed in map format, with the National Grid superimposed. (A nice touch is that the grid interval is automatically reset depending on how far you zoom in or out), and in table form. A map, in bitmap, jpg, or other format, scanned in or downloaded (oldmaps.co.uk is a good source), can be associated with the data, 2 or 3 of the displayed waypoints may be used as reference points, by dragging the relevant waypoint marks to their appropriate points on the map. The whole of the waypoint plot is by this moved and rotated (and if necessary skewed) into alignment with the map. One may pan or zoom the display to the limit of the detail in the underlying map. The programme has the facility to print!
  off the resulting screen display with waypoints and map.
        The downloaded data is saved as a simple text file, which may be edited in the usual way, or the tabulated data edited from within the programme. You can waypoint points of interest on the map and then upload these to the GPS, for location, in the field. We have by this located a powder store buried in almost impenetrable woodland.
        I'd thoroughly recommend this piece of mapping software. It's cheap, and rich in useful features.

Regards, Rod Goslin