On 19 Apr 2005, at 15:54, Mike Gill wrote:

>> in North Wales (I haven't got the information for elsewhere) that
>> therewere a small number of mines in the Home Office Lists of mines
>> where women were shown as the Owner or Operator.
>
> Many thanks for that Dave - what sort of period are you talking about?

Mostly late 19th century and early 20th century. (This range is
probably an artefact of the Home Office Lists of mines data as much as
anything.)

The earliest date I've found was Mrs McKellar who was recorded as Owner
or Operator at Sygyn copper mine in 1876. The latest was 1950 (Mrs E
Simon who was owner or operator at Bodafon limestone quarry from 1931).

As well as being owners or operators of mines, there were a few women
who were sole or joint holders of Crown Grants for minerals etc. (I've
found one example where both the joint holders of a Crown grant were
women.) The earliest year of Grant to a women I've found was 1865.

Dave
--
Dave Linton
01341 280901