From: Mike Gill [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 12 April 2005 22:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mining in the South West of England

Hi Trevor,

>if you could expound a little further on this.

That's easy - I've often seen the eyes of otherwise keen, intelligent people
glaze over and their spirit drain away at the mention of their doing
archaeology.  As a bit of a mixture myself (i.e. a mining surveyor, with
degrees in archaeological sciences and economic history) I can sympathise
with professionals trying to push their disciplines, but sometimes the
uninitiated are easily alienated by it.  That's why I favour encouraging
them to look, think, make sketches, take photographs (with a scale) and
measure what they've seen and thought about.  At the very worst, they could
interpret it as a 'ritual' site.

The rest might well be the bias of a crusty northerner, but I went to a
seminar which purported to be about "Mining history in south-west England;
new approaches, new history?" and, possibly naively, have tried to suggest
some avenues to follow.  I, for one, would love to read more mining history
from Cornwall cos I live too far away to do much there for myself.  What I
am not interested in is the bigger, deeper, more influential, more diasperic
sort of clap trap that often taints mining history in the south west.

My comment (on Saturday) that those present in Exeter should reflect on why
mining history in the SW was 25 years behind its counterpart in the north
(of the M4) was not entirely jocular.  We've been publishing monographs on
individual mines, or groups of mines, since 1966 - if that approach had been
adopted in Cornwall, we might have something about Poldice, Tresavean, Ding
Dong, Tregurtha Downs, West Chiverton etc etc.  We might also know what is
specifically Cornish about Cornish pitwork!

Fire in the hole.

Mike

Please note that the Council may need to disclose this e-mail under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Enviromental Information Regulations 2004.

Important: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the
above-named only and may be confidential.  If they have come
to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must
you copy or show them to anyone;  please e-mail us immediately
at [log in to unmask]

Security Warning: Although this e-mail and its attachments have
been screened and are believed to be free from any virus, it is
the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free.
The Authority will not accept liability for any damage caused by a virus