In message <010201c5457e$01bb5fe0$1cc22e50@amd2800>, Alan Mills
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I have searched my database of the 1861 census of the Reeth Registration
>District which comprises virtually all the mining areas of Swaledale. It
>comprises 6125 people of whom 989 are shown as (male) lead miners. aged 10
>and over. There are 1003 of the 6125 shown as female aged over 7 (to omit
>scholars) with an occupation although often this is simply "farmer's wife"
>or similar. Of these 1003, 89 have an occupation related to mining (incl
>coal); many of these are lead miner's widow. In terms of  lead-mining
>related employment there are:
>16 x female lead ore washer
>1 x female lead miner
>2 x Lead mines labourer
>24 x lead ore dresser
>(assuming I can count!)
>

>Alan Mills
>
>PS this is the entry for the single female lead miner; a widow, aged 69 born
>in Longmartin, Westmoreland and living in Whaw, Arkengarthdale. The
>occupation may be a transcription error of course.
>
>8. HILLARY Jane Head W 69 lead miner Westm Longmartin F Whaw 1861
>HILLARY John son U 36 lead miner Yks Arkindale M Whaw 1861
>HILLARY Isaac son U 25 lead miner Yks Arkindale M Whaw 1861

I am doing the same job in Derbyshire, which has considerably more
people (a guess of 3000 miners). I only have raw data so far - for about
90 percent of the Peak District, and I would guestimate that there are
less than 5 females listed with employment in the mines. I will publish
this information when I finish the job.

Cheers, Dave.
--
David Williams