A query for the liturgical experts on the list:
        I“m trying to track down the details of when the feast of St. Winefrede ceased to be celebrated
throughout England, and its status within the Catholic liturgy after the Reformation.
I have it listed as mandated for the arhcdiocese of Canterbury in 1398, and my
guess is that as far as England was concerned, it simply fell victim to the Reformation. However, her cult appears to
gain impetus in local Catholic circles during the counter-Reformation, and there is evidence of interest in
her through the 19th century (as well as on a number of contemporary websites).  I have read that the
feast  was "reinstated" (in contrast to the many saints who were removed from the calendar!) as a result of Vatican 2.  My  question is, how do I trace the LITURGICAL history of this cult, and was it, in fact, in need of  any sort of confirmation by Vatican 2? Or was there some other form of recognition? For example, the Vatican recently "confirmed" St. Žorlįkr as patron saint of Iceland. He was a recognized local saint in the Middle Ages, but probably unknown outside a certain radius around Iceland (so I would argue, in no need of confirmation, but that's neither here nor there.) Winefride, however, seems to have enjoyed a continuous cult.
Any suggestions, particularly bibliography to relevant liturgical materials, would be greatly appreciated.
Meg

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]