From: "Christopher Crockett" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] "usage de Chartres"

From: Pecia <[log in to unmask]>

> Il s'agit bien de l'usage liturgique de Chartres ...

> La Bretagne employait pour ses livres liturgiques une notation neumatique
particulière qui était également appliquée partiellement à l'abbaye de
Saint-Père de Chartres (voir par ex. le graduel CHARTRES BM 47, Xème s.,
publié dans "Paléographie Musicale", vol. XI, Solesmes)

yes, i have used that publication (by Canon Yves Delaporte of Chartres),
because i am interested in the style of the various illuminations and
decorations of all surviving early Chartrain manuscripts.

here are a few of these from the BM 47 ms :

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/chartresmss/chartres47-f3r.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/chartresmss/chartres47-pl59.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/chartresmss/chartres47-pl91.jpg

i know nothing whatever about musical notation, but Canon Delaporte was an
excellent scholar, thoroughly knowledgable in all areas of the liturgy,
among
many other subjects.

St. Peter's of Chartres was "reformed" in the 960s (i *think it was) by
Fleury
(the secular canons who had taken over the former abbey were replaced by
regular monks), and there were other connections between the two houses
during
the course of the rest of the 10th century and well into the 11th.

i *suspect* that such things as musical notation at Chartres would have, at
least originally, followed that at Fleury.

in any event, the interlace initials of that ms 47 are reminescent of  those
which we can find in 10th century mss from Fleury which are themselves,
essentially, descendants of the late Carolingian "Franco-Saxon School"

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-ad-miracles.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/schoenberg/ljs101-3r.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-bm/orleans175p1.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-bm/orleans175p16.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-bm/orleans175p69.jpg

however, at the very end of the 10th century Abbot Abbo of Fleury (died
1004?)

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-bm/orleans277-p62-abbo.jpg

--who had spent considerable time in England-- seems to have been
instrumental
in introducing a much more sophisticated style of manuscript illumination
from
the Anglo-Saxon scriptoria into Fleury.

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-bm/orleans175p149.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-bm/orleans175p149-d2.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-bm/orleans175p149-d.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-bm/orleans175p149-d3.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-bm/orleans175p175.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/fleurymss/orleans-bm/orleans342pa-d.jpg

it is my belief --Fides Quaerens Intellectum-- that a variant of this
"Anglo-Saxon" figure style found its way to St. Peter's of Chartres via
Fleury
in the course of the 11th century, took root and developed there, surviving
only in "echoes" in the "romanesque" sculpture of the 12th c. in the region.

however, the loss of virtually all of the manuscripts and *absolutely* all
of
the mural painting and sculpture in a multiplicity of media makes such
speculation difficult to "prove" in the extreme.

your remarks on the origins of the name IVO are interesting, but i know
nearly
as little about the etymology of names as i do about musical notation, so am
hesitant to comment on them.

best from here,

christopher

"What about the older ones [Indians] ?"

"Well, we can't seem to cure them of the idea that our Everyday Life is only
an Illusion, behind which is the Reality of Dreams"

--Werner Herzog's "Fitzcarraldo"
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0083946

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]