>>> [log in to unmask] 4/11/2005 9:09 AM >>>

While we are on the subject, does anyone know of "Non nobis, Domine" (verses
9-26 of Psalm 113, 'In exitu Israel', Protestant/Hebrew Psalm 115) being
employed as a liturgical item?  I can't find it as an incipit in CANTUS, for
example - although verse 9 may turn up as a versicle somewhere.

John Briggs

Well, there's Kevin Branagh's _Henry V_ where it trulyl liturgically frames the concluding rites.

Just kidding--I know this is not what you are looking for, but I can't hear the phrase "Non nobis Domine" without that haunting melody (and those haunting scenes) flooding into my mind.  Yet I never really paid attention to who wrote the score or whether the melody is an original composiion or borrowed from some earlier source.  Without intending to, now I'm really curious.

I always did assume that there was some medieval litugical precedent for employing that Psalm phrase after a battle--does Shakespeare himself insert it or is this Branagh's artistic license.  And, if Shakespeare already has the phrase in the play, where did he get it from?  How much artistic license with medieval liturgical practice did Shakespeare add--or if it's Branagh's invention, then how much artistic license did Branagh employ.

And now I've, without intending it, circled back to John Brigg's original query--liturgical use of "Non nobis" in the Middle Ages, hence available to Shakespeare or, perhaps Branagh?

Please, by all means answer John Brigg's original query but if anyone happens to know the story of that melody from Branagh's film, I'd be glad to know more about it.  I know I can look it all up but,  . . .

Dennis Martin

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]