From: Pecia <[log in to unmask]>

> Dans un inventaire (début XVIIe s.) des livres liturgiques de l'église de
Tréguier se trouve cette mention :

"Deux grands graduels escriptz et nottés à la main, sur veslin, reliés en
boys à l'usage de Chartres, cy devant practiqué en ceste eglise qui
servoient au grand choeur ..."
> Que sait-on de cette "usage de Chartres"?

they way your source is punctuated, it looks like the term refers to a certain
kind of binding using wooden boards, peculiar to Chartres.

more likely, however, it refers to the origin of this gradual, which must show
signs of antiphons used in the diocese of Chartres, does it not?

but, i'm no liturgist and have no idea what those might look like or what
distinctive features they might display.

the "a la usage de XXX" term is quite common, i believe, especially when
referring to the origin of Books of Hours, Psalters, Breviaries, Ordinals,
Collectars, Customaries, etc. --any service book which would display
characteristics distinctive to a particular diocese (or Order, etc.).

just a guess.

there were, apparently, quite a few Bretons in the Chartrain region in the
11th & 12th centuries, but i don't know enough about the later period to say
if these connections persisted into that epoch.

i see now that it is your *inventory* which dates from the early 17th century,
not the two graduals.

can you determine the date of the manuscripts themselves?

they don't happen to survive, i suppose?

manuscripts from Chartres have been much rarer since this happened to the city
library in 1944

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/mss/montescot44.jpg

is it possible that St. Yves of Brittany was named after St. Ivo of Chartres?

best from here,

christopher

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]