Enjoying (as always!) the Saints of the Day, (thanks, Phyllis!) I was wondering if anyone knows whether this de la Salle is any relation to the one who left France for Canada (1660s) and exploration of the Mississippi...  he was educated by Jesuits tho doesn't seem to have been one himself.
Just curious!
TGD

>>> [log in to unmask] 4/6/05 8:26 PM >>>

Today (7. April) is the feast day of:

A modern saint: John Baptiste de la Salle (d. 1719)  Jean-Baptiste
was the son of a wealthy noble family.  He became a canon at Rheims
and seemed set for a life of comfortable ecclesiastical preferment.
But he got involved in a project to educate poor boys and ended up
making it his life's work.  He resigned his canonry, gave his fortune
to the poor, and collected teachers into the Institute of the
Brothers of the Christian Schools (only formally approved after his
death).  J-B went on from there to establish teachers' colleges.  His
community in time spread all over the world.  J-B was canonized in
1900 and named the patron saint of teachers in 1950.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]