From: Ann Ball <[log in to unmask]>

> Click here: http://www.notre-dame-de-rocamadour.com/

the image in the center here is a pastiche, made up of a photo of the
surviving cult statue placed within a modern frame which is based on the form
of the surviving pilgrims' badges from Rocamadour.

these are all very unusual (unique?), in their form, which closely resembles
that of contemporary (late 12th-13th c.) seals.

here are a few, from the massive collection of badges now in the Cluny museum
in Paris:

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/cluny/cluny_rocamadour/cluny_100.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/cluny/cluny_rocamadour/cluny_101.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/cluny/cluny_rocamadour/cluny_102.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/cluny/cluny_rocamadour/cluny_103.jpg

with the descriptions of them, from the catalogue of the seal collection:

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/cluny/cluny_rocamadour/cluny_rocamadour.html

and some from the collection in London:

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/spencer/spencer_rocamadour/spencer245.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/spencer/spencer_rocamadour/spencer245a.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/spencer/spencer_rocamadour/spencer245c.jpg

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/spencer/spencer_rocamadour/spencer245e.jpg

with a good, short, "reliable" text on the Rocamadour pilgrimage by the late
English Dean of Pilgrims' souvenirs, Brian Spencer:

http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/badges/spencer/spencer_rocamadour/rocamadour.rtf

as far as i can see, that picture of the V&C on the "Site Officiel" home page
is the only one on the site.

why am i not surprised?

otOh, no pilgrimage site is complete without a souvenir stall (one is
documented in Chartres from the early 12th c.).

here's Rocamadour's:

http://www.notre-dame-de-rocamadour.com/5-1.html

"pilgrimage" is very good for business

http://www.notre-dame-de-rocamadour.com/photos/3-1.jpg

and always has been.

"What about the older ones [Indians] ?"

"Well, we can't seem to cure them of the idea that our Everyday Life is only
an Illusion, behind which is the Reality of Dreams"

--Werner Herzog's "Fitzcarraldo"
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0083946

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]