From: Pecia <[log in to unmask]>

> Chartres fut très tôt dans la visée des rois de Bretagne.... Alain Barbe
Torte (+ 952) épousa une soeur de Thibaut le Tricheur comte de Chartres.

> Une colonie de bretons s'installa à Chartres, que nous décrit un pasage
des "Miracles de Notre-Dame" (XIIIe s.)

> A Chartres ont leur forteresse,
> Cliouse des fosez Sainte Foi;
> Vers Dieu et sa mere ont grant foi
> Et d'une rue ont la baillie
> Qui a non la Bretonnerie:
> Ce sont Bretons, né de Breteigne,
> De Seint Mallo portent l'enseigne ..."

my Old French being more than a bit rusty, is this speaking of a "fortress"
near the "fosses" of St. Foi?

the church of Ste. Foi, originally just outside the walls of the city, was
incorporated within them when they were expanded, circa 1180.

i've never seen a reference to the "fosses Sainte Foi, but such an appelation
makes sense.

>Lucien MERLET, Une colonie de Bretons à Chartres, dans Revue de
Bretagne, avril 1892]

Lucien Merlet --a Breton himself, i believe-- was, for many years, the
Archiviste of the Département, and one of the best and most knowledgable
scholars to publish works concerning its history.

his son, René followed him in that office, about the same time as this
article was published, and, while quite competent, was not nearly the scholar
his daddy was (partly because he was only archiviste for a few years,
resigning in 1905 or so after some kind of dispute with the Prefect of the
Département, i belive).

for more on the Bretons --not just in Chartres, but elsewhere nearby (there is
evidence of Bretons in Gallardon), you might consult :

Chédeville, André.  _Chartres et ses campagnes, XIe-XIIIe s._ Paris:
Klincksieck, 1973.  575 p.

Chédeville (who teaches, i believe, at Rennes) has thoroughly "pillaged" the
original sources (cartularies, mainly) and distilled the information down in a
usually satisfactory manner.

best,

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]