Columbia is also the name of the capital
of South Carolina.
Meg

________________________________

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Terrill Heaps
Sent: mán. 4.4.2005 01:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Columbia (Peter Claver)

Diana Wright wrote:

> Peter Claver . . . ministered to black slaves in what became Columbia.

Columbia is, of course, another name for what is the United States of America.

The fifth oldest American university is Columbia University, founded in 1754,
by charter of King George II, as Kings College. Owing to the American
Revolution, the name Columbia was adopted in 1784.

Columbia is also the name of the federal District, in which is located the
American seat of government. Formerly, two cities were in the District:
Georgetown and Washington. Georgetown was merged into Washington, which is now
the only city in the District of Columbia.

Honors for the President of the United States of America consists of four
ruffles and flourishes, followed by the playing of "Hail To The Chief." Honors
for the Vice President of the United States of America consists of four ruffles
and flourishes, followed by the playing of "Hail Columbia."

British Columbia is, of course, a province in Western Canada.

I didn't know that Peter Claver ever got to New Grenada, as most of his
influence was (I think) in Cartagena. The general area of New Grenada is now
the country of Colombia.

The term New Grenada exists as an Anglican Catholic diocese, (comprised of
Barranquilla, Cauca, Valle, Santa Fe de Bogota, Sucre, Alicante, Cadiz, &
Autioguia) and which is called The Diocese of New Grenada.

Cheers,

Terrill

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]