Paris : Gallimard, ; ISBN: 207076527X

Thomas Izbicki
Collection Development Coordinator
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/22/05 10:44 AM >>>

> Thanks to Ann and John for replies about Rocamadour.
> That brings up the topic of the cult in various and sundry places of these
> "vierges noires." Anyone have any info on where this comes from? Why
> "noires"? This sounds like something for the folklore folks. Jim...?

Dear Marjorie,
The literature on Black Virgins is wildly varied.  There are all sorts of mystical and
fantastic explanations for them abroad, but there is, more sensibly, a growing
consensus that this is not actually a medieval phenomenon.  The statue of Notre-
Dame at Le Puy is perhaps the best documented case.  The earliest images of this
12th-century statue depict it in naturalistic colours.  It is only at the very end of the
15th century that it begins to be represented with blackened faces and hands (most
Black Virgins are not entirely black; just the faces and hands of the Virgin and Christ
Child).  Recent restorations have increasingly been finding that quite a few Black
Virgins were painted black after the fact, and the original polychromy has been
uncovered.  This does not really begin to explain why Black Virgins appeared, but it
sets the problem in its proper context.  It is essentially an early modern
phenomenon (there are documented cases of Virgins being blackened right into the
early 19th century), one of a number of very interesting early modern beliefs and
practices concerning miraculous images.  In fact, most of our documented
knowledge of miraculous medieval images comes from early modern sources,
making it extremely difficult to appreciate the earlier medieval beliefs and practices.
This is a clear instance of the Middle Ages essentially being rewritten during that
period, and much of that rewriting is now taken uncritically to reflect medieval
realities.
A recent fairly sensible book on Black Virgins is Sophie Cassagnes-Brouquet,
Vierges noires (Editions de Rouergue, 2000).  You might also be interested in a
recent sociological study of contemporary miraculous Virgin cults, mostly in the
province of Valencia in Spain, Marlene Albert-Llorca, Les Vierges miraculeuses.
Legendes et rituels (Gallimard, 2002).  I am convinced that it is only by
extrapolating evidence back from contemporary and early modern sources that we
will eventually have any clear idea of many medieval practices.  It is, however, a
methodological quagmire.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]