Marjorie Greene <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

As I was listening (with great nostalgia) to the Litany of the Saints
chanted in Latin during the transfer of the pope's body from the Sala
Clementina to San Pietro, I heard "Sancta Catarina." Assuming (and I confess
I haven't done my homework) this is not "of Siena" or any of the other
"Catherine"s following her, I was wondering why a saint banished from the
canon (C. of Alexandria) - at least, I _think_ she was - is still included
in the Litany. Tradition? And are there any other saints of dubious
hisorical status still in the Litany?

Respondeo:

Catherine is indeed still in the Litany. From her position (between St John Vianney and St Teresa, rather than among the early martyrs, Perpetua, Felicity, Agnes) I would assume that she is indeed Catherine of Siena, not Cathering of Alexandria.

Bill.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]