Rochelle Altman wrote:

> Some of George Joye's translations of 1530 and 1534 replace those of
> Coverdale's 1535 collation in the 1549 Book of Common Prayer. Is that what
> you are referring to?
>
> Then, Thomas Sternhold's Metrical Psalms also were published in 1549... I
> used to wonder about the Bay Psalm Book (typical English ridng rhyme)--
> until I read Sternhold's...

Quite!  It is amazing how long the Sternhold & Hopkins was used. Amazing too,
how long the "successor" book of rhymed Psalms, the Tate & Brady, had usage
in some of the village parishes.

I think that both the Sternhold & Hopkins and the Tate & Brady are uneven.
The rhymed Psalms range from pretty good to doggerel.

I do have to credit Tate & Brady for (in my opinion) their best piece of
work, which was a the translation of a hymn, the Jesu Christus Surrexit
Hodie, from 14th century Latin, which (I should think) all English-speaking
Christians know: "Jesus Christ is ris'n today,  Alleluia! Our triumphant holy
day, Alleluia!" etc. The doxological 4th stanza added by Fr. Charles Wesley
makes the hymn a sine qua non at Paschaltide.

Tate & Brady's rhymed version of Psalm 42 has become the hymn "As pants the
hart," with a doxolgical 4th stanza. Example below:

Cheers,

Terrill

Tate & Brady:

As pants the hart for cooling streams
when heated in the chase,
so longs my soul, O God, for thee
and thy refreshing grace.

For thee, my God, the living God,
my thirsty soul doth pine:
O when shall I behold thy face,
thou Majesty divine?

Why restless, why cast down, my soul?
Hope still, and thou shalt sing
the praise of him who is thy God,
thy health's eternal spring.

To Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
the God whom we adore,
be glory, as it was, is now,
and shall be evermore.

BCP 1928:

Psalm 42. _Quemadmodum._

LIKE as the hart desireth the water-brooks, * so longeth my soul
after thee, O God.
2 My soul is athirst for God, yea, even for the living God: * when
shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
3 My tears have been my meat day and night, * while they daily
say unto me, Where is now thy God?
4 Now when I think thereupon, I pour out my heart by myself; * for I
went with the multitude, and brought them forth into the house of
God;
5 In the voice of praise and thanksgiving, * among such as keep
holy-day.
6 Why art thou so full of heaviness, O my soul? * and why art thou
so disquieted within me?
7 O put thy trust in God; * for I will yet thank him, which is the
help of my countenance, and my God.

8 My soul is vexed within me; * therefore will I remember thee from
the land of Jordan, from Hermon and the little hill.
9 One deep calleth another, because of the noise of thy
water-floods1; * all thy waves and storms are gone over me.
10 The LORD will grant his loving-kindness in the daytime; * and
in the night season will I sing of him, and make my prayer unto the
God of my life.
11 I will say unto the God of my strength, Why hast thou forgotten
me? * why go I thus heavily, while the enemy oppresseth me?
12 My bones are smitten asunder as with a sword, * while mine
enemies that trouble me cast me in the teeth;
13 Namely, while they say daily unto me, * Where is now thy God?
14 Why art thou so vexed, O my soul? * and why art thou so
disquieted within me?
15 O put thy trust in God; * for I will yet thank him, which is the
help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 41 (42) from the  Vulgate version on the University of Minnesota Gopher
server:

41:2 quemadmodum desiderat cervus ad fontes aquarum ita desiderat anima mea
ad te Deus
41:3 sitivit anima mea ad Deum *fortem; vivum quando veniam et parebo ante
faciem Dei
41:4 fuerunt mihi lacrimae meae panis die ac nocte dum dicitur mihi cotidie
ubi est Deus tuus
41:5 haec recordatus sum et effudi in me animam meam quoniam transibo in loco
tabernaculi admirabilis usque ad domum Dei in voce exultationis et
confessionis sonus epulantis
41:6 quare tristis es anima mea et quare conturbas me spera in Deo quoniam
confitebor illi salutare vultus mei
41:7 Deus meus ad me ipsum anima mea conturbata est propterea memor ero tui
de terra Iordanis et Hermoniim a monte modico
41:8 abyssus *ad; abyssum invocat in voce cataractarum tuarum omnia excelsa
tua et fluctus tui super me transierunt
41:9 in die mandavit Dominus misericordiam suam et nocte canticum eius apud
me oratio Deo vitae meae
41:10 dicam Deo susceptor meus es quare oblitus es mei quare contristatus
incedo dum adfligit me inimicus
41:11 dum confringuntur ossa mea exprobraverunt mihi qui tribulant me dum
dicunt mihi per singulos dies ubi est Deus tuus
41:12 quare tristis es anima mea et quare conturbas me spera in Deum quoniam
*adhuc; confitebor illi salutare vultus mei *et; Deus meus

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]