Although I use the Douai Rheims, I have occasionally found it different
from the Latin in the texts I study.

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Collection Development Coordinator
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/28/05 11:35 AM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

Dear colleagues
since I came to medieval studies by a rather circuitous route, and am
largely self-taught, some things remain a mystery to me - including what
scholars mean when they refer to 'the Vulgate'.  I have realised that.
given the textual history of such things there can be no definitive,
single version of Jerome's translation - but what should I be looking
for in a library if I want a Latin bible that is as close to possible to
that used in the 13th century?  and what about Douay-Rheims translations
- they seem to be another minefield.
with thanks, Cate

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]