St Pius V was an inquisitor in Lombardy.

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Collection Development Coordinator
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/19/05 2:51 PM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

Perhaps the most interesting Grand Inquisitor I know of who became pope
was
Cardinal Carraffa, who, interestingly succeeded to the papal office at
age
79 in 1555 and had a four year reign which continued the very
conservative
policies of his time as inquisitor, solidly basing the Catholic
reformation
on conservative if not reactionary lines. Hmm.....
JBW