Today (13. April) is the feast day of:

Martius (d. 530)  Martius became a hermit when a young man.  He
attracted disciples and organized them into a community of monks at
Clermont (Auvergne).

Hermenegild (d. 585)  Hermenegild was a Visigothic prince in Spain
who converted to catholic Christianity.  His father, King Leovigild,
disinherited H, upon which H. led a revolt against his dad.  H. lost,
but was reconciled with his father.  But Leovigild demanded H's
return to Arian Christianity, and when H. refused, Leovigild had him
done to death with an axe.

Martin I (d. c. 656)  Martin was a native of Todi.  He moved to Rome,
where he was known for his great learning and piety; he served as
Pope Theodore I's ambassador to Constantinople and became pope
himself in 649.  As pope, Martin didn't get along with the eastern
church.  He called a council that condemned monothelitism and
censured several imperial decrees.  Emperor Constans II (a
monothelite) was outraged and sent troops to Rome to fetch Martin for
trial.  They broke into the Lateran palace and dragged M. off to
Constantinople in the fall of 653.  He was imprisoned under awful
conditions for several months and then convicted of treason without
being allowed to defend himself.  The patriarch of Constantinople
begged for M's life, so M was sent off to exile in the Crimea, where
he died of ill treatment.  M. is the last pope venerated as a martyr.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]