Dear All,

A task group on Structural Geology and Tectonics (TecTask), chaired by Cees
Passchier,  was recently established by the International Union of
Geological Sciences (IUGS) aimed at stimulating communication and
coordination within the international science community and to provide
information to the public (see objectives below).

A WEB-BASED DIRECTORY OF STRUCTURAL GEOLOGY AND TECTONICS PROFESSIONALS AND
STUDENTS

A primary effort is to follow up on the mission of the International
Association of Structural Geologist (IASTG), managed with great enthusiasm
by Sue Treagus for so many years. Thus we intend to establish a
comprehensive directory of professionals on TecTask's internet portal
(<http://www.tectask.org/>www.tectask.org) and we encourage all colleagues
and advanced graduate students to enroll (create a login). In order to
protect privacy the directory access is restricted to enrolled members and
will only be used for non-commercial, scientific purposes.
The directory will play a key role in the efforts to coordinate
communication and scientific cooperation among its world wide members.
Subscribed members will have assess to the web portal's secure domain which
is primarily dedicated to research cooperation, training, data mining and
science management allowing other members to search for potential
collaborators and help with specific problems.

WHY REGISTER?

Subscribed members will have the privilege of placing their own relevant
information and appropriate links at the web site and we encourage them to
submit individual web pages on significant topics.
We especially welcome subscribers who would like to play an active role in
strengthening scientific collaboration, training and education in
Structural Geology and Tectonics.
Members will receive 25% discount off the individual subscription price for
the Journal of Virtual Explorer and we are exploring options that will
provide members with easier and affordable access to resource such as
commercial archives and other media.

THE TECTASK WEB PORTAL

The Internet portal that hosts the directory will serve as the major
platform for professional and public education and represents the forum for
the group's major activities. The web site will provide a wide spectrum of
resources such as information on research programmes, funding
organisations, events, access to databases and teaching materials. The web
portal's public domain is predominately dedicated to information and
education and providing information on geodynamic processes for the public
(e.g. mountain building, exhumation, seismic activities, and climate
effects of plate tectonics etc.).

The website is still under construction and we welcome any suggestions and
contributions that will improve the site to make it the major resource in
our science.

If you have any questions, please contact either Hermann Lebit
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] or Mark Jessell
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

Best regards

The TecTask officers:
Cees Passchier (chair)
Mark Jessell (vice chair)
Hermann Lebit (general secretary)
Paul Bons
John Dewey
Bruce Hobbs
Ron Vernon

TecTask's Objectives

The Task Group on Tectonics and Structural Geology (TecTask) represents an
initiative of Earth Scientists dedicated to stimulate communication and
coordination within the international science community and to provide
information to the public.  The group encourages innovative research and
continued education in Tectonics and Structural Geology, the growth of
intellectual capital and hence the impact of our science on the wealth of
the global society.  TecTask reaches out to scientists and students,
particularly those from developing countries, to share cutting edge
research and development, and state-of-the-art training. Dialog and
cooperation is welcomed with organisations, industries and administrations
regarding applications in Structural Geology and Tectonics for sustainable
use of the world's natural resources, the preservation of the environment
and prevention of natural hazards.
         Advances in innovative micro-analytical to space borne
technologies combined with the exponential growth in computational power
tremendously increases our capability to model and monitor geological
processes in great detail. Nevertheless, fundamental observations have to
be recovered from field studies and particularly Structural Geology and
Tectonics, as all Earth Sciences, rely on the careful collection of
geological data, the examination of natural rock morphologies and their
inherent rock properties. Thus, TecTask is particularly dedicated to
promoting field observation and analysis of natural geological bodies to a
broad international audience in support of our efforts studying processes
leading to the complex architecture of the earth's lithosphere, exploring
resources and predicting potential threats by natural hazards.