Hi everyone

Can any colleagues who has been running the ‘exams’ associated with the above scheme (objective style questions papers on CD etc) tell me how they are running their exams - including marking and (if necessary) the subsequent questioning of those students who ‘nearly’ passed?

We have been running the above scheme at Rotherham College over the past 10 months.  College policy is to use external invigilators for all ‘examinations’ (the view being that teachers should be teaching to maximum hours, rather invigilating!).  In addition, we have paid the invigilator for marking the objective answer sheets (usually immediately after the exam).

Since that latest instructions have come into effect, indicating that the oral questioning of students who ‘nearly’ passed should be done immediately after the marking, we now have a problem.  Plumbing tutors are timetabled and not necessarily available at the relevant time (and they will always be staff who have taught the students on at least some aspects of the syllabus).

How are other colleges handling this?  I’d be extremely grateful for any help as handling this is becoming a considerable task as we have a lot of plumbing students!

Carole Gummer

Head of Examinations & Assessments Unit

Rotherham College of Arts & Technology