Hi Barney and the list,

I tried a few calculations on the site and noticed that when I put 3 in
the FN place instead of 0, I got a 95%CI that was greater than 1,
clearly an "impossible" situation for sensitivity.  I assume that the CI
calculator for this is not geared to recognize the acceptable upper
limit of sensitivity as 1.  I would propose that the way to get around
this is to calculate the lower limit of the 95% CI using the 3/n rule
and then use that to calcuate your LR.  After all, the upper limit will
continue to be 1.

Dan

Dan Mayer, MD
Professor of Emergency Medicine
Albany Medical College
47 New Scotland Ave.
Albany, NY,  12208
Ph; 518-262-6180
FAX; 518-262-5029
E-mail; [log in to unmask]

>>> Barney Eskin <[log in to unmask]> 04/07 9:25 AM >>>
This question is about calculating 95% confidence intervals for LRs.  I
use the UBC calculator which usually works fine and is found at
http://www.healthcare.ubc.ca/calc/bayes.html  If you use the "I know
the raw data of the 2 x 2 table" however, and one of the cells has a "0"
in it, it does not give me 95% confidence intervals, just a point
estimate.  Now, I know that you can estimate the limit of the value in
the "0" cell by using the approach in the paper by Hanley and
Lippman-Hand, If nothing goes wrong, is everything all right?
Interpreting zero numerators.  JAMA 1983;249:1743-5.  That paper
suggests that the upper limit of zero can be estimated as 3/n.
Therefore, it seems that you ought to substitute 3 in the "0" cell but
when I do that, I get an abnormally large confidence interval, larger
than if I had done the original calculation using the calculator with a
1 in the box.  Does anyone know what the correct approach to this is?

Barney Eskin