I remember BAEM used to quote 2 per hour in The Way Ahead a few years back, but I don't know if they've revised this figure in the latest version. I know our docs are only managing around 1.7 to 1.8 per hour when I recently checked this.

AF

Danny McGeehan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Colleagues
Enthused with the rites of spring and a new bunch in post I have been endeavouring to increase the throughput through the friendly A&E dept. Very much leading from the front and all that jazz. I have been appealing to hardwork and dedication and pulled out the figures from only 4 years ago from our robust registration computer. In those distant days the average doc saw at least 4 patients an hour, but unfortunately it has now slipped to one or even less. Is it just our neck of the woods or is a national phenomenon. BTW saw one myself, clapped out severe DKA, dehydrated and put the stopwatch on and took me 1hour 25mins to stabilise very difficult so not always easy.
I'm trying desperately to introduce 3-d management to the unit but it is an uphill struggle trying to get everybody on board, although CD seems to be interested.
Best wishes
Danny Mcgeehan

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software
visit www.ntlworld.com/security for more information

Well that's strange; I'm certain that Americans call aspirin - wait for it - aspirin, which is why I was perplexed! Unless things are different in British Columbia...

And as for paracetamol, well, that's a different story entirely!

AF

Jel Coward <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Adrian Fogarty wrote:
> Ahh, why didn't he say that then? But hang on, how is aspirin supposed to
> help this old guy with acute confusion (the patient I mean, not me!)?

'twas not me but an emerg (translated - A+E) doc. Presumably thinking
TIA or possibly stroke.

At about 4000 ft on a ski-hill, just got off a chair lift. Known to
someone who was present. Regular skier.

He wasn't given ASA (his care was handed over to me) and I put it on hold.

I am clear that I did not want to give him ASA.

I guess the main question in my mind is though, with presumed acute,
unresolved TIA, which is possibly stroke - should it be in our plan to
give ASA. At the base of the hill we are 2 hours travel from a CT and
much longer in reality.

Regards all
Jel