An additional query: which "Saint John"? I haven't done a count, but I
suspect that "John" is the most common saint's name as it is, I believe, the
most common first name in all "Christian" countries - or all countries with
a predominance of Christian names.
MG

>From: Theresa Gross-Diaz <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: [M-R] popes choosing new names
>Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:54:56 -0500
>
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Doctissimi,
>One of my more alert students just sent me a note pointing out a Times
>article that mentions not John XII but John II as the first pope to change
>his name.
>I looked into it and this is what I have (including questions!):
>
>Mercurius (John II) was indeed the very first pope to change his name (as
>far as we know).  I have not yet verified the source of his alleged reason
>(=that it was the name of a pagan god).  In fact there was a pope Dionysius
>already, and that seemed to bother no one.  Also there was already a Saint
>Mercury, so that would seem to have "baptised" the name.  So I'd like to
>know what the source is for that statement. Does anyone on this list know?
>
>There is another early pope who changed his name:  Catelinus changed his
>name to John III (561-574); is it a coincidence that he too chose "John"?
>His own name was in no way inappropriate.
>
>But then there is a huge gap.  The naughty Octavian, son of Alberic, took
>John XII (John again!) in 955, and though there four popes after him who
>kept their own names, with the accession of Pietro Campanora in 983, every
>pope changed his name.  Did Pietro (Peter) change his name to John XIV
>(again!) because of modesty?Is there actually evidence of this reason?
>(maybe he figured Peter II would be too much to live up to!)
>  It is curious that all those first popes to change their names took the
>name "John"! Why was that??
>
>TGD

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]