Students' needs differ and when we realise that something can be taught through  electronic means we may realise that may suit some students and not others.  HE and FE might differ with regards to this point.  e-materials are fine but can the meet all learner styles and needs?  Even when they don't their use by teachers/lecturers/facilitators in teaching should not be precluded surely?

Regards
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Virtual Learning Environments [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of Rod Cullen
Sent: 10 March 2005 13:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VLES] E-truth

I've been giving this quite a bit of thought recently as we have been taking
a close look at the issue of online assessment - some folks here prefer the
term e-assessment even (I'm not just referring to objective testing e.g.
MCQ's here but all modes and methods of assessment).  The main conclusion
that I have come to is that what were actually talking about is just
assessment the "e" is a prefix that indicates to some extent how we are
delivering it.  When designing assessment it is, I believe important not to
be seduced by the technology that is available.  Design the assessment with
respect to what you want your students to learn and demonstrate to you as
the assessor and then decide which the best tools to deliver the assessment
are.

My feeling is that the same applies to e-Learning as a whole.  We should be
concentrating more on designing the learning and then deciding how best to
deliver it rather than being driven by how the software would like it
organised.

Regards Rod

Dr W. Rod Cullen
Distributed Learning Advisor
TLAO
186 Waterloo Place
Oxford Road
Manchester
M13 9GP
Tel 0161 275 8102

Come along to our Information Open Day, Thursday 21st April 2005, 2pm - 8pm, Milton Road Campus.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use of the individual or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email, delete it, and do not make use of, disclose or copy it. Opinions, conclusions or any other information in this message are attributed to the sender and are not necessarily endorsed by Jewel & Esk Valley College.

No liability is accepted for virus or malicious code and you are advised to scan attachments (if any).

For further information about Jewel & Esk Valley College, we can be contacted at:

web: www.jevc.ac.uk

email: [log in to unmask]