Dear Matthew, and others,

I know you asked to be contacted off-line, but - as one can see - people
are continuing with a slight change of subject header.

I think it would be a pity to cut off one of the rare online discussions
that has aroused considerable reactions of so many varied kinds,
and offered quite stimulating titbits, especially from the very will
informed Niki.

As a discussion between total strangers [I have come across only one or two
familiar names] I find it a model of useful internet interaction.  Even the
rare little flaming gives it a touch of reality, and certainly has not
spoiled it in any way for me.  It is something to show the sceptics that
cyber-talk among strangers does have a point. I very rarely feel impelled
to bother, but this time....

Anita