Einstein wrote a paper once with 3 references, all
his.
Einstein was never accepted from the academic
community in Europe when he started his academic
career.

there are two books from a guy from UCL, Prof Arthour
I. Miller - Science and Technology Studies, he is
American and his office is huge and full, I  mean full
like everywhere, of books>
Eistein - Picasso
and  'Insights of Genius'

he says exactly what you are discussing now..

this is a discussion that shakes the foundations of
science as founded in teh 19th century based on the
experiments' pillars> if you conduct the same
experiment and you get the same result it is true.
Today, after a century and more, nobody believes this
any more.. we match the theories according to what we
want to prove as everything is so subjective. some
times we are given colour glasses to wear and after a
while we forgot that we there are there, permanently..
I dont feel that wisdom exists any more..