On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Malcolm J. Currie wrote:

> > Malcolm, this means that you'll probably need to grab some Perl modules from
> > our CVS repository.
>
> Weren't the perlmods and Starperl going into the Starlink repository?

Yes. But I can't work out how to do it.

First problem is perl. It doesn't use gnu configure but it has a
Configure script and a configure.gnu wrapper that recognizes common
gnu-isms. I considered renaming configure.gnu to 'configure' so that it
would look like a normal import but then realised that Configure and
configure would clash on OSX. I'm loathe to move Configure to
Configure.perl and configure.gnu to configure but it looks like that's the
best way of retaining the feel of the other packages without being forced
to run configure each time someone types 'make'.

Next up is PERLMODS. Should we upload untarred versions of the CPAN
modules to CVS? Or the tar balls themselves? How do we trigger the 'perl
Makefile.PL' step? [which is the equivalent of configure, so maybe we
create a configure sh script that does the perl Makefile.PL, but how does
it know which PERL to use?]

Finally the Starlink modules have to be transferred directly from JAC CVS.
We will again need to use the configure-calls-Makefile.PL trick and the
Makefile.PLs should be adjusted to recognize the 'check' target as an
alias for 'test'.

Does all this sound plausible? [it's easier now that I'm composing the
email]. It seems the perl module wrapper configure script will have to
just assume that $STARCONF_DEFAULT_PREFIX/Perl/bin/perl is to be used
first. [Should we install into $STARLINK/Perl or use a more normal
$STARLINK/perl ? I suppose backwards compatibility will insist on
$STARLINK/Perl but we should add $STARLINK/Perl/bin to the end of the
path].

--
Tim Jenness
JAC software