From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 11:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Query from Hadfield and Prescott

Dear List--

Andrew Hadfield and I have signed a contract to do a fourth edition of
the Norton Critical Edition of Spenser and we seek your opinion on what
Spenserian texts we might drop or add. Just TEXTS, not criticism (see
below). Norton says that we are at the outside page limit so if we add
we must also drop. If we add Virgil's Gnat, for example, we must drop
the Bower of Bliss. Well, that's silly but you get the idea. We were
thinking of dropping *Colin Clouts Come Home Again*, which for all its
interest we do not think is much taught, and adding *Mother Hubberds
Tale* because of its relevance to, among other topics, Renaissance
anti-court satire, fable and allegory, and (even if the evidence is read
cautiously) censorship. We might also add the *Ruines of Rome* because
the text is brief and enables conversation on both *translation* and
*translatio* as well as on the importance of ancient Rome--and by
implication papal Rome--to early modern England. Are there other
deletions and additions you would like? Feel free to write us
off-list.Andrew's e-mail is [log in to unmask] Any thoughts would
be welcome.

We BEG you to send suggestions, if you have them, for dropping or adding
critical essays ONLY off-list for obvious reasons of tact and prudence.

Thanks for any thoughts, on- or off-list. Andrew H. and Anne P.