Hi Tobias

I have found over the last couple of years that those with tight ITB's

leading to lateral knee pain have a dominance of TFL activity over PGM (Posterior glut med - this portion externally rotates the hip not internally rotates). By

encouraging PGM activation though sidelying bent knee external rotations (picture 2 - you can feel the muscle tense for feedback over the button of the back pocket of your shorts ) and pelvic tilts with PGM activation (picture 1 - if you feel PGM - see above- while you do a pelvic tilt to flattern your back you will often feel that the injured side will not tense like the good side. get the patient to try and make the tension equal. One problem I find is many people can't pelvic tilt so this needs to be taught first.), and small knee bends with directional control (picture 3 - make sure the middle of the patella is over the 2nd 3rd toes. they will normally roll in. by externally rotating the thigh to correct the postion activiates PGM. this then has to be done mulitple times to make it habit) this ususally decreases ITB tension much faster than trying to stretch the ITB.

I don't say don't stretch ITB, I just find this more effective

If you do acupuncture you can also use motor point or

trigger point releases to the TFL and/or GB31 to help as well

Hamish Ashton MHSc

Physio

NZ