I sent my son (David - not Welsh but living in Scotland, so we need to celebrate when we can) to school today wearing a daffodil - so I'm glad I was not completely wrong!
Rosemary
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bill East
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:00 AM
  Subject: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 1. March

  Phyllis Jestice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

    Today (1. March) is the feast day of:

    David (Dewi) (5th-6th cents.) David is the patron saint of Wales; I
    hear that good Welsh folk are supposed to wear a leek today in the
    saint's honor.

    Most substitute a daffodil, the secondary emblem of Wales. That which we call a leek, by any other name would smell as foul.

    He was supposedly consecrated archbishop of the Cambrian church by the
    patriarch of Jerusalem while on pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

    If that were true, it would be a remarkable example of ecclesiastical poaching, since the patriarch of Jerusalem has no jurisdiction in Wales.

    On the other hand, the Irish legend of St Fin Barr (founder and patron of Cork) says that he went to Rome for ordination by the Pope. The Pope however said "IN NO WAY are we worthy to ordain you as Bishop. You must return to Cork, where God will send worthier ministers to ordain you." So Fin Barr returned to Cork, and in the church he had built there (the original of the present protestant Cathedral) he told his brethren the story. Even as he spoke, he was carried up to the rafters by the holy angels, who themselves ordained him Bishop.

    Let no one doubt the truth of this story, for it was witnessed by the entire congregation below.

    Bill.

  Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]