From: "Postles, Dr D.A." <[log in to unmask]>

> Actually, Christopher, this is a small piece of advice from one of the list
administrators.

who should be able to speak for themselves, if they have anything foolish to
say.

>Continuation of the discussion of medieval or early-modern names is
absolutely valid and extremely interesting.  The digression to idiosyncratic
modern ones is really outside the remit of the list

only if you insist on defining it that way.

as it happens, i don't.

*every*thing is Grist for my Mill.

and any sort of levity to relieve the tedium of the list is always welcome.

i'm not proud and will make lemonade out of any lemons that come my way.

>and I would reiterate my advice that we now return to the focus of the list,
please.

advice noted.

as was this very, very interesting --albeit totally
non-middlevil/early-modren-- comment by our collegue in Moscow regarding the
effect of catastrophic historical events on near-contemporary naming
patterns.

of course, nothing like that ever happed in the m.a.

(i *love* "Elektrostantsiya".)

From: Vadim Prozorov <[log in to unmask]>

> Under the Bolsheviks in Russia there appeared a tradition to grant poor
children names like Revoljutsiya (Revolution), Vilen (V.I.Len(in)), or
Vladlen (Vlad(imir)Len(in)), Elektrostantsiya (Electric Station), even
Spartak after the gladiator who revolted against Rome and was considered to be
a predecessor of the Russian revolutionists.

vadim prozorov
associate professor
faculty of history
moscow state university