You mean an chantry isn't one of those little-bitty chapels stuck in between
pillars?

DW

Sandra Lowerre wrote:

> There is a technical term in German for the medieval gesture of
> giving money to a monastery with the idea that the monks then pray
> for the donor's soul and say masses to ease his purgatorial tortures
> etc. These masses could also be held for deceased loved-ones. The
> term used in German is "Seelgerät".
>
> Is there an English technical term for this practice, too?

The nearest is probably a "chantry", which is a formal endowment for a
priest to say these masses, but usually at a parish or collegiate church,
rather than a monastic one.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]